Detective stories - Ben Aaronovitch
How do you explain in your police exam that the murder victim knows can tell you who their killer was because they’re a ghost? And all the other weird shit that the special assessment unit deals with?
Aside from the main story this edition of the graphic novel featured a racist getting what he deserved, a dog poop theft and foxes done with humans littering. Perfectly normal events in the Rivers of London universe
~ Robotpinemarten
Platform Decay by Martha Wells
As always, I love you, Murderbot. 🥹 What a beautiful story of friendship in space.
~ lem0nb0iii.bsky.social
Frisk by Dennis Cooper
I would need every content warning imaginable, but a horrible, disgusting, fascinating first person look at trauma and SV.
~ BKTrashCat
Since I Laid My Burdens Down by Brontez Purnell
A perfect precursor to his book 100 Boyfriends, I felt like I was reading something that the author *needed* to exorcise. A short read; lots of rumination on sex, queerness, Blackness, artistry, growing up in the South (USA). I feel like the provocation really hit in 2017, when it was published, but it's still a worthwhile read!
~ BKTrashCat
"So You Want To Be A Wizard?", by Diane Duane
I always saw these books at the library growing up but somehow never picked them up. I'm glad this series has come into my life when it has. Heavy doses of influence from L'Engle and maybe LeGuin are palpable, but the in-world system of magic comes from a very scientific logic, and the protagonist is a science buff who applies her knowledge to her newfound discovery of magic. Duane's prose is lovely and the world she's created is highly enjoyable. Can't wait to start the next book in the series for my next read! 🙂
~ AndaliteBandit
The Small Stuff: How to Lead a More Gratifying Life by Ian Bogost
A nonfiction book about how we become alienated from the sensory experiences of daily life and how to deliberately seek out gratification in the mundane. It's a pleasant read! But it kind of felt like it could have been an essay rather than a whole book.
~ @alimasin.bsky.social
The Woods All Black - Lee Mandelo
Boy did this book twist in a way that I was not expecting! Slow burn historical fiction and then bam [redacted]! Luckily for me it pushed all of my gross little buttons and I had a fun old time but perhaps one to search before you read if you don't like surprises. I'd have like this to be longer - a whole lot happened in a short novella - I'd have liked it to be spookier and the epilogue felt a little unsatisfactory but all in all this an enjoyable read.
~ rueforyou
Fang Fiction - Kate Stayman-London
This book was so silly!! And I mean that with all the love in the world because it was a hoot!! I don't normally like romance novels but this didn't take itself too seriously (though it tackled some serious subjects) and was so fun because of it. A woman discovers vampires are real and is whisked off to a magical isle full of them, expect the most ludicrous plot mechanics (involving a buzzfeed article and a bar full of portals) way too many Taylor Swift references, a pretty well rounded cast of characters that all get the endings they deserve and little fun epistolary asides. I was annoyingly enamoured by this in all it's ridiculous glory.
~ rueforyou
"In the Heart of the Sea: the Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex" by Nathaniel Philbrick
Perhaps the quintessential true story of shipwreck and cannibalism at sea. The concept of a vengeful whale inspired Melville to write Moby Dick. Tore through this one! It makes me want to visit Nantucket.
~ SpaceCadetGlow
"The Sea Captain's Wife" by Tilar J. Mazzeo
The true story of Mary Ann Patten, who taught herself navigation and medicine on her husband Joshua's clipper. At 19 and pregnant she successfully navigated around Cape Horn in his stead when he fell ill. A heroine of her day, now largely forgotten.
~ SpaceCadetGlow
The Odyssey by Homer, translated by Emily Wilson
It's a great translation and I'm glad I finally actually read the whole thing but 14-year-old me was right, I just don't like The Odyssey. I did really like the introduction and translator's note though, fwiw.
~ remreader (bluesky)
The Woods All Black by Lee Mandelo
WOW
I read this on the recommendation of another pirate reader, and I'm so glad I did! A dark, creepy, queer fairy tale with a satisfying conclusion. Also a super-quick read that I couldn't put down and feels like it will linger for awhile after.
~ @alimasin.bsky.social
No comments:
Post a Comment