Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King
This is my personal favorite short story collection of his. I think ‘The Finger’ would make an excellent horror short film. It involves a guy doing battle with a giant finger coming out of his bathroom drain.
~ killerweasel
The Dark Frontier: Unlocking the Secrets of the Deep Sea by Jeffrey Marlow
I found this one really interesting; I appreciated the detailed discussions of how scientific study of the seep ocean takes place and about the politics around ocean/sea floor conservation vs. exploitation. It is quite a long book but the writing style was conversational enough that it didn't feel like a drag.
~ remreader
Very, Very, Very Dreadful: The Influenza Pandemic of 1918 by Albert Marrin
This is one of the deadliest pandemics in history. The mutated version of H1N1 originated in the United States at a military base & spread around the globe at a pace never seen before. Millions died.
~ killerweasel
In the Shadow of the Moon: The Science, Magic, and Mystery of Solar Eclipses by Anthony Aveni
I liked the author's approach to discussing how ancient cultures viewed eclipses and the book as a whole was pretty interesting.
~ remreader
Mickey7 by Edward Ashton
While I know I broke the cardinal sin of watching the movie before the book, and the movie was very different, I still thoroughly enjoyed this read. What a fun ride.
~ lem0nb0iii
The Eyes Are The Best Part by Monika Kim
Oh, God. So gory and dark and SO GOOD. I support women's rights and their wrongs. But also. 🤢 But like in the best way.
~ lem0nb0iii
Sunrise on the Reaping by Suzanne Collins
Holy shit. What an insane, beautiful, sad story. Fucking A. I want to read it again.
~ lem0nb0iii
The Demon Overlord's Retirement Plan by M. H. Foster
Picked this up at the Atlanta airport on the way home from dragoncon on Monday, because I knew I'd be finishing Sunrise on the Reaping before landing. What a lovely palette cleanser. I need the sequel.
~ lem0nb0iii
The Story of Birds: A New History from Their Dinosaur Origins to the Present by Steve Brusatte
This was excellent, definitely recommend for anyone interested in birds.
~ remreader
How to Fake It In Society, KJ Charles
KJ Charles never misses! I found this one super enjoyable. There were maybe one or two twists I saw coming easily enough, but I was still surprised more than once! Additionally, the audiobook is super good!
~ unfunpleasures
Lore Olympus Volume Two by Rachel Smythe
Fucking MINTHE 😤 Fucking APOLLO 😤 I forgot how much disdain I have for these versions of them. But as always, Hades and Kore are prime. 💙🩷
~ lem0nb0iii
Pet Semetary by Stephen King
It’s interesting reading about a character going from completely logical to totally insane, driven by grief and loss. How far would you be willing to go to bring back a loved one, even if they might not be themselves?
~ killerweasel
The Far Edges of the Known World: Life Beyond the Borders of Ancient Civilization by Owen Rees
It was nice to learn a little bit more about ancient history outside of Greece/Rome/Egypt and I appreciated how the author kept the book really grounded in discussion of the archeological record and specific artifacts as well as acknowledging the limits of what we can definitively conclude from them.
~ remreader
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
A reread of one of my favorite books of all time. My kid read it this summer and then we watched the (Baz Luhrmann) movie and then I just HAD to read it again. This book is 101 years old and every sentence is a pleasure.
~ @alimasin.bsky.social
De gestolen van Goghs [The stolen Van Goghs] by Lex Boon
3.5 stars
[Book read in Dutch; review is translated (book has not been translated)]
This is a fun read. It's interesting to see how many Van Goghs were stolen and how long they were gone. The conversations with different parties involved with the current case are intriguing and occasionally funny. It does feel like the book is trying to do too many things at the same time and doesn't quite wrap up all of them. But it was a fun, non-fiction read.
~ fpwoper
No comments:
Post a Comment